The library of the German Centre of Gerontology (DZA) has been built up since the institute was founded in 1974. The non-lending reference library is open to the public. It can be described as the largest special-library in the theme of gerontology in the German-speaking world. The literature is thematically orientated towards the DZA and its aims to "increase, collect, evaluate, process and disseminate knowledge about the living arrangements of ageing and old people".
Main knowledge fields are
- sociological and psychological gerontology
- social and behavioural sciences
- cultural studies
- elderly care
- old people's welfare and policy
Furthermore the library stock is completed by three special collections:
- a collection of textbooks for students in social or nursing professions
- a collection of reports and studies in the field of elderly care and old people's welfare and policy published by the German Federal States
- a literary consideration of ageing
The library catalogue GeroLit provides a quickly and convenient search in the library via the Internet which is free of charge.
Tuesday, 16 October 2018, the library is opened from 1.30 p.m to 6.00 p.m.
Tuesday from 10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
Wednesday and Thursday from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
The library is located on the 3rd floor of the DZA, Manfred-von-Richthofen-Strasse at the corner to the Dudenstrasse. Public transport: Underground: line U6, station "Platz der Luftbrücke", Bus: numbers 104, 248.
Wireless Internet Access is available.